Saturday 1 December 2012

Movember Favorites 2012



Hey,

Now, you might be looking at the title of this post and thinking “Lauren, that isn’t how you spell November” or possibly even “Well… it’s finally happened- Lauren has lost her marbles” but fear not, the spelling is totally intentional.
See...even my calendar knows it's Movember...with a little help from a Sharpie that is! 
 For those of you that haven’t heard about Movember, it’s a charity fundraising event where for the whole month of November, guys agree to grow a moustache (or Mo as they’re known, hence Movember) and keep it for the whole month in order to raise money for Men’s Health and  awareness of the subject, specifically for Male cancers. I’ve only really known about it for the last couple of years but it started in Australia in 2003 and has gradually become more and more famous and worldwide as the years have gone by. Loads of famous people do it each year but anyone is welcome to sign up, grow their Mo and raise money. Last year, more than 854'000 people -known as MoBros and MoSistas (girls who support Movember but obviously can't participate themselves)- took part, raising 79.3 million pounds! I think it’s a really cool idea and it really gets people talking about the cause and of course raises lots of money which can never be a bad thing. (Links to more info at the end!)

So, back to the reason for this post. I know that this is the end of Movember but I decided this month that since I can’t grow a moustache and raise money myself, as well as donating, I’ve gone slightly ‘Movember Merchandise’ crazy this month… basically if I saw anything with a moustache on it, I had to buy it! Also, in my defence my mum has been doing the same and buying things for me, knowing that I’ve developed a small obsession with Moustachey things! I thought it might be a good idea to do a post on the things I’ve collected together, sort of like a usual monthly favourites post but with the Movember twist just in case anyone hadn’t heard of the cause or was wondering why loads of guys have suddenly decided to grow a moustache. I’m pretty sure that donations will be accepted into the month of December if you haven’t had time yet (that was the case last year, so I’m assuming the same will apply this year but if not please don’t go crazy!!).

Also, where possible, I've included links to the products online! :)




This is the thing that started the whole of my little obsession off. A few months back I decided that since I couldn’t grow a moustache for Movember, instead I would show my support by having an iPhone case with a moustache on it. This is the one I chose, but there were loads of different designs if you just search ‘Moustache phone case’ and they were all pretty cheap. I did see some other ones available when I searched the same on Etsy, but these were much more expensive. My favourite (slightly childish) thing to do all month has been to hold my phone up against my mouth to make it look like I had a moustache!

Moustache Jumper & Travel Cup – Both Primark





These were the first things my Mum picked up for me when she was Christmas shopping and she actually had to go back into Primark when she spotted them, so unfortunately I’m not sure how much they were or if they are still available in store. There’s not much to say about the cup really, except it has a rubberised bottom to stop it slipping over and also a ribbed, rubberised hand grip around the middle. I’m currently keeping paperclips in it so I’m not sure how effective it is at keeping drinks hot or anything but I just thought it was really cute.

The jumper is probably my favourite thing out of the whole lot as it is so soft and cosy even though it only has half sleeves. I’ve worn it slouched off one shoulder with a black vest top underneath as it is quite baggy but personally I loved the way it looks like that. I can see it becoming a winter favourite and not just for Movember as it’s so cosy for during the cold weather.  



I know it's horribly blurry but you get the idea!
I bought these for myself when doing a little bit of Christmas shopping on Grindstore and I just thought they were really cute. Grindstore had quite a lot of Moustache things like mugs and cookie cutters and tshirts- again, just search moustache and it will all come up. I managed to restrain myself to just these two things and although unfortunately they are both a little too big for me, I still love them!

Also, in the picture of the ring you can see my Movember nail art that I attempted with Models Own Snow White Nail polish, Models Own Juicy Jules Glitter Nail Polish and a Models Own Nail Art Pen in Black. I’m really pleased with how it came out, although I may need to practice my moustache drawing for next year!! (Also there will be a more in depth review/ramble about those two Nail Polishes in my ‘normal’ November Favourites Post, if you’re interested!)

‘I <3 Moustaches’ Cushion – Primark £6


This, again, was bought for me for my mum the other day but luckily I haven’t taken the price tag off yet so I can tell you that it was £6 which isn’t bad for a cushion and a cushion cover if that makes sense. The cover has a zip so you could take it off if you wanted to or it needed washed or something which I think is quite useful. On one side the cushion is a sort of linen material in cream with I, then a red and white polka dot heart and then a black with flowers print moustache which I thought was really cute and quite unusual as well. The other side of the cushion is just the black with flower print pattern, which I’m not that keen on to be honest but because of the moustache side, I can live with it!

So, that was the things I’ve collected together in my kinda month long Movember haul if you like and I love all of it! There were a few other bits and pieces that I’ve seen that I would really love to get so maybe I’ll just have to gather them together for Movember 2013 and be super organised and ready for it. I’ve already started trying to convince my dad to do Movember next year, by shaving off the moustache he has had for nearly 40years and starting again… I guess we’ll just have to wait and see next year!!

Hopefully, if you know anyone that’s done Movember this year (whether it be someone you know personally or a famous person) you’ll have already sponsored them but if not, as I said before I’m sure there’s still time heading into December!

UK Movember- http://uk.movember.com/ 

Ireland Movember- http://ie.movember.com/

Worldwide Movember Site- http://www.movember.com/

More Information about Movember which explains it all way better than I ever could!- http://uk.movember.com/about/

Thanks for taking the time to read this and happy end of Movember!!

Lauren
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment